Friday, May 25, 2007

On Istikhara

Today Shaykh Abu Yusuf Riyadh ul Haq gave an amazing and very important dars on Istikhara from the sunnah. The Shaykh was commenting on the hadeeth below and I have a couple of audio clips from the lesson (Lesson 154). Full talk can be purchased from Al Kawthar Academy when it is released inshaAllah.





CHAPTER 18. What is said about the Nawâfil being prayed as two Rak'ât followed by two Rak'ât and so on.

614. عَنْ جَابِرِ بْنِ عَبْدِ اللهِ رَضِيَ اللهُ عَنْهُمَا قَالَ: كانَ رَسُولُ اللهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم يُعَلّمُنَا الاِسْتِخَارَةَ في الأُمُورِ كلّها كما يُعَلّمُنَا السّورَةَ مِنَ الْقُرْاَنِ, يَقُولُ: (إِذَا هَمّ أَحَدُكُمْ بِالأَمرِ, فَلْيَرْكَعْ رَكْعَتَيْن مِنْ غَيْرِ الْفَرِيضَةِ, ثُمّ لِيَقُلِ: اللّهُمّ إِنّي أَسْتَخِيْرُكَ بِعِلْمِكَ, وَأَسْتَقْدِرُكَ بِقُدْرَتِكَ, وَأَسْأَلُكَ مِنْ فَضْلِكَ الْعَظِيمِ, فَإِنّكَ تَقْدِرُ وَلاَ أَقْدِرُ, وَتَعْلَمُ وَلاَ أَعْلَمُ, وَأَنْتَ عَلاّمُ الْغُيُوبِ. اللّهُمّ إِنْ كُنْتَ تَعْلَمُ أَنّ هذا الأَمْرَ خَيْرٌ لِي, في دِينِي وَمَعَاشِي وَعاقِبَةِ أَمْرِي, أَوْ قَالَ: عاجِلِ أَمْرِي وَاَجِلِهِ, فَاقْدُرْهُ لِي وَيَسّرْهُ لِي, ثُمّ بَارِكْ لِي فِيهِ, وَإِنْ كُنْتَ تَعْلَمُ أَنّ هذَا الأَمْرَ شَرّ لِي, في ديني وَمَعَاشِي وَعاقِبَةِ أَمْرِي, أَوْ قَالَ: في عاجِلِ أَمْرِي وَاَجِلِهِ, فَاصْرِفْهُ عَنّي وَاصْرِفْنِي عَنْهُ, وَاقْدُرْ لِيَ الْخَيْرَ حَيْثُ كانَ, ثُمّ أَرْضِنِي بِهِ. قَالَ: وَيُسَمّي حاجَتَهُ). رواه البخاري: 1166

614. Narrated Jâbir bin 'Abdullâh رضى الله عنهما : The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم used to teach us the way of doing Istikhâra in all matters as he taught us the Surah of the Qur'ân (Istikhâra means to ask Allâh to guide one to the right sort of action concerning any job or a deed). He said, If anyone of you decides to do any job he should offer a two Rak'ât Salât (prayer) other than the compulsory ones and say (after the Salât (prayer)): 'Allâhummâ innI astakhIruka bi'ilmika, wa astaqdiruka biqudratika, wa as'aluka min fadlika al'Azim Fainnaka taqdiru walâ aqdiru, wa ta'lamu walâ a'lamu, wa Anta'Allâmulghuyub. Allâhumma, in kunta ta'lamu anna hadhalamra khairun li fi dini wa ma'âshi wa 'âqibati amri' (or 'âjili amri wa'âjilihi) faqdurhuli wa yassirhu lI thumma bârik li fihi, wa in kunta ta'lamu anna hadhalamra sharrun lI fI dIni wa ma'âshi wa'aqibati amri' or 'fI'âjili amri wa ajilihi, fasrifhu 'annI wasrifni 'anhu, waqdur lI alkhaira haithu kâna thumma ardinI bihi. (O Allâh, I consult You as You are AllKnowing, and appeal to You to give me power as You are Omnipotent, and ask You for Your Great Favour, for You have power, but I don't, and You have knowledge, but I don't have, and You know all hidden matters. O Allâh, if You know that this matter is good for me in my religion, my livelihood, and for my life in the Hereafter (or said: For my present, and future life), then do it for me; and if You know that this matter is evil (not good) for me in my religion, my livelihood, and for my life in the Hereafter (or said: For my present and future life), then keep it away from me and take me away from it, and choose what is good for me wherever it is, and please me with it.) The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم added that then the person should name (mention) his need (matter etc.). (2:263O.B.)

No comments: